[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Search at Public records Pro Now
UT Wedding Officiants
Wedding Officiants

UT Wedding Name Change Kit Instant Download!

Background Screening Services Background
Screening Services!

Marriage Laws United States Utah UT Wedding Officiants

Marriage license Laws in the state of Utah, here is what you need to bring with you, and what you need to know about the Utah marriage laws before filling out the Utah marriage license form.

Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.

In order to get married, you need to apply and receive a marriage license. This is the document in your state that allows you to officially tie the knot under the law. The rules for acquiring your marriage license varies from state to state, so you should check with your city's marriage bureau at your clerk of court's office to find out what your local rules are.

You'll typically need to apply for your marriage license at least one month before your wedding ceremony. You'll traditionally need to send in your birth certificates, tax information, and other official documents. You don't, however, want to apply for your marriage license too early. In some states, the licenses do expire, if you don't get married within a few months.

When you apply for your license, you'll not only need a proof of identification and age, but you'll need to apply for the certificate together, will need to provide any information about previous marriages, and will need to pay a nominal fee. You will also need to have a witness when you sign the application, so plan on bringing your maid of honor or best man with you. The bride will need to know what her married name will be before she signs the marriage certificate. You'll have to write that name on the application.

And, believe it or not, just because you have your marriage license sent to you in the mail does not mean you are officially married. You need to have a justice of the peace or a religious clergyman sign the document. On your wedding day, you'll give your chaplain your marriage license, then after the ceremony, he'll sign it and send it to the proper government agency for validation.

ID Requirement: Valid picture ID such as a passport, birth certificate, drivers license, or state ID card must be presented.

•  Either bring your Social Security card or know your Social Security number.

•  If you want to use your maiden name on the license bring a certified copy of your birth certificate or a certified copy of your divorce decree that states name is to be changed to maiden name.

Residency Requirement: Do not have to be a resident of Utah.

Application Requirement: Both the bride and groom must appear in person at the time of applying.

For those wishing to be married, a marriage license is necessary. In order to obtain a marriage license, you must contact a county clerk within thirty days of your scheduled wedding.

Fees: $45+ - is applicable in most counties. The fee will include two certified copies of the license.

Please Note: In some counties, there is no fee, but an additional charge for the certified copies may be applied.

Waiting Period: No waiting period.

Blood Tests: No blood test requirement.

Under 18: Utah law states that marriage at the age of 18 years and above does not require parental consent. For those aged 16-17, parental consent is necessary. For those 15 years old, the following requirements must be met:

•  Parental consent must be obtained.

•  Approval from Juvenile Court is necessary. The court must conclude that the marriage    is voluntary and in the best interests of the minor.

•  The court may require premarital counseling where and when appropriate.

Common Law Marriage: Yes. A common law marriage is a situation where a man and woman have never had a formal wedding ceremony but may be declared husband and wife. Filing for common law marriage will allow the court to assist in matters such as custody or the division of property. Utah does recognize the validity of common law marriages. In order for a common law marriage to be filed, the following qualifications must be met:

•  Both parties must be competent and able to give consent.

•  Both must be able to be married.

•  Both must be living together as man and wife.

•  Both have assumed marital responsibilities and duties.

•  Both must have "held themselves out" as husband and wife such that others perceived    them to be married.

Cousin Marriage: Yes. If both cousins are over the age of 65, or over the age of 55 and can prove sterility. This is a very important exception, as many cousins do get married in their senior years.

Proxy Marriages: No. Both parties must be present.

Same Sex Marriage: No.

Officiants: Ministers of the gospel or priests of any denomination who are in regular communion with any religious society may perform marriages. Ministers must provide a certificate of marriage to the county clerk who issued the marriage license within 30 days after the marriage.

Miscellaneous: A minister, rabbi, priest, mayor, judge, county clerk, Native American spiritual adviser, the Governor, court commissioners and judges, as well as particular members of the legislature. If you wish to be married by a county clerk, call your local county clerk office to set up an appointment. You must additionally bring two witnesses over the age of 18 and pay an additional fee for the ceremony.

Valid: License is valid for 30 days.
The license can only be used within the State of Utah.

Copy of Certificate of Marriage:

Bureau of Vital Records
Utah Department of Health
288 North 1460 West
P.O. Box 141012
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-1012
Phone: (801) 538-6105

Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice.

To notify us of corrections or additions send an email to update@usmarriagelaws.com.  Please include the state and county information.

Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.

It is important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office or county clerk before making any wedding or travel plans.

Utah County Clerk's Office

Beaver County Recorder
Beaver, UT
435. 438. 6480

Box Elder County Recorder
Brigham City, UT
435. 734. 2031

Cache County Recorder
Logan, UT
435. 716. 7150

Carbon County Recorder
Price, UT
801. 637. 4700

Daggett County Recorder
Manila, UT
435. 784. 3154

Davis County Recorder
Farmington, UT
801. 451. 3213

Duchesne County Recorder
Duchesne, UT
435. 738. 2437

Emery County Recorder
Castle Dale, UT
435. 381. 5106

Garfield County Recorder
Panguitch, UT
435. 676. 8826

Grand County
Moab, UT
435. 259. 1321

Iron County
Parowan, UT
435. 477. 8340

Juab County Recorder
Nephi, UT
435. 623. 0271

Kane County Recorder
Kanab, UT
435. 644. 2458

Millard County Recorder
Filmore, UT
435. 743. 6223

Morgan County Recorder
Morgan, UT
801. 829. 6811

Piute County Recorder
Junction, UT
801. 577. 2505

Rich County Recorder
Randolph, UT
435. 793. 2415

Salt Lake County Recorder
Salt Lake City, UT
801. 468. 3425

San Juan County Recorder
Monticello, UT
435. 587. 3223

Sanpete County Recorder
Manti, UT
435. 835. 2131

Sevier County Recorder
Richfield, UT
435. 896. 9262

Summit County Recorder
Coalville, UT
435. 783. 4351

Tooele County Recorder
Tooele, UT
435. 882. 5550

Uintah County Recorder
Vernal, UT
435. 781. 0770

Utah County Recorder
Provo, UT
801. 370. 8109

Wasatch County Recorder
Heber City, UT
435. 654. 3211

Washington County Recorder
St George, UT
435. 634. 5712

Wayne County Recorder
Loa, UT
435. 836. 2731

Weber County Recorder
Ogden, UT
801. 399. 8400

Ask Questions, Get Answers from Experts ASAP | JustAnswer Ask questions and get answers from verified Experts online. Get an answer when you ask a lawyer, wedding planner, or other Expert on JustAnswer.com.

Order Vital Records Online! certified copies of Birth, Death, Marriage, and Divorce certificates, for events which occurred within the state of Utah.

Local Officiants | Wedding Officiants Finder | Chicago Wedding Officiants | Illinois Officiants| NJ Officiants

Find Local Officiants | New York Wedding Officiants | USA Wedding Officiants | NY Wedding Officiants

© 2009